Fix the cracks in your online security
Installing the latest updates for your computers, devices and apps is one of the best ways to protect yourself from being hacked.
What are software updates?
All your devices including your phone, tablet, computer or laptop use software to run. Software includes:
- Operating systems like Windows, Android and macOS
- Apps on your phone
- Games on your console
- Your anti-virus, your browser or word processors at work.
All of these require updating. Updates add new features, install bug fixes and most importantly fix security holes that could let cybercriminals in.
Hackers, malicious programs and viruses can find weaknesses in your software (called vulnerabilities) that they use to access your device. Software providers release updates for their products to correct security concerns and improve functions. Installing updates fixes these vulnerabilities and helps keep you secure.
Installing software updates as soon as they become available limits the amount of time hackers have to find and use these weaknesses.
Protect yourself by making installing software updates a top priority
- Take the time to install software updates as soon as they become available
- Better still, set your system to update automatically – then you don't have to think about it
- The common software to keep updated include:
- Operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android
- Antivirus and security software
- Browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge or Safari
- Web plugins such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Skype, Apple QuickTime, iTunes, Java, ActiveX
- Other types of applications such as Microsoft Office.
- When you purchase a new device, check for updates straight away as part of initial set up, ensuring you enable automatic updates
Stay up to date
- Sign up for our free email alert service on the latest online threats and what to do.
- Follow Stay Smart Online on Facebook for the latest news.