New type of ransomware threatens to share your browsing history
This malware claims to make a copy of your browsing history and threatens to share it will all of your contacts unless you pay a ransom.
LeakerLocker was discovered by cyber security firm McAfee and has been found in two android apps: Wallpapers Blur HD and Booster & Cleaner Pro.
What to do now
- If you have downloaded either application—uninstall these apps immediately.
- DO NOT pay the ransom.
- Clear your browsing history.
- Be wise in your choice of applications and research before downloading (i.e. read user reviews, check required permissions and search the name to see if any warnings exist).
- Ensure your software is updated.
- Clear your browsing history regularly.
- Back-up your device regularly.
Stay Smart Online has more information on how to protect yourself from malware and ransomware.
The information provided here is of a general nature. Everyone's circumstances are different. If you require specific advice you should contact your local technical support provider.