Beware of new malware targeting Microsoft Windows vulnerability
The Australian Government is aware of reports of malicious software (malware) that aims to exploit the same vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows used by the WanaCry ransomware.
Any new malware that targets these (or other) vulnerabilities may threaten the integrity of your systems and information. It may also degrade the performance of your computers and networks.
Any businesses, households and individuals that have not already taken steps to protect their computers, networks and devices are urgently recommended to do so.
- Immediately install the latest updates for applications and operating systems, especially Microsoft Windows. Stay Smart Online recommends turning on automatic updates.
- Confirm that backups are available and working.
- If you have been affected by ransomware, report the incident to the Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network (ACORN).
Check the Australian Cyber Security Centre’s news page for updates on the WanaCry ransomware campaign in Australia.
- Stay Smart Online has more information on updating software, including how to automate updates.
- Step-by-step instructions on how to see the Microsoft Windows updates installed on your computer are available from the official Microsoft Support website.
The information provided here is of a general nature. Everyone's circumstances are different. If you require specific advice you should contact your local technical support provider.