This year, Awareness Week will be held from 20 to 24 May 2013.
National Cyber Security Awareness Week is an annual Australian Government initiative held in partnership with industry, community and consumer organisations and all levels of government.
The aim of Awareness Week is to help Australians using the internet – whether at home, the workplace or school – understand the simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online.
With nearly 1,400 partners coming together for Awareness Week, the message of cyber security will be heard around Australia through a range of events, including seminars, webinars, media, social media, and other distribution channels.
See the full listing of 2013 National Cyber Security Awareness Week partners.
Why is cyber security awareness important?
The internet has increasingly become part of our daily life. It provides a way for us to socialise, shop, transact and do business, which means we are sharing more and more personal and financial information online. In doing so we potentially expose ourselves to number of online risks which we need to be aware of and properly manage.
That is why it is important that we better understand how to stay safe and secure on the internet.
Under the Australian Government's Cyber Security Program a range of initiatives, including National Cyber Security Awareness Week, help Australians understand cyber security and safety and the measures they can take to protect their personal and financial information.
There are many ways you can become involved in 2013 National Cyber Security Awareness Week:
Become a partner
A partner simply means supporting activities and messages to promote National Cyber Security Awareness Week. There are no financial obligations or legal contracts involved – all that is needed is an organisation's commitment to help spread the message about cyber security. Contact us for more information or download the 2013 Partner Information Pack. (PDF, 1.8 MB)
Host an event in the office, on site or online
For more information see:
- Event guidelines (PDF, 115.5 KB)
- Event guidelines (DOC, 630.5 KB)
- Event guidelines (HTML)
- Event criteria (PDF, 119.5 KB)
- Event criteria (DOC 630.5 KB)
- Event criteria (HTML)
Attend an event
A range of public events will be held across Australia during National Cyber Security Awareness Week, 20 to 24 May 2013. Search for Awareness Week events near you using our interactive map.
Spread Awareness Week messages
Free materials are available for partners to promote the 2013 National Cyber Security Awareness Week through staff, business and consumer channels.
A suite of soft copy materials are also produced throughout the year for partners to distribute, free-of-charge.
Share research and information
Remember the top tips
Stay Smart Online encourages all Australians to remember these ten simple tips to improve their online security:
- Install and update your security software and set it to scan regularly
- Turn on automatic updates on all your software, particularly your operating system and applications
- Use strong passwords and different passwords for different uses
- Stop and think before you click on links and attachments
- Take care when buying online - research the supplier and use a safe payment method
- Only download "apps" from reputable publishers and read all permission requests
- Regularly check your privacy settings on social networking sites
- Stop and think before you post any photos or financial information online
- Talk with your child about staying safe online, including on their smart phone or mobile device
- Report or talk to someone if you feel uncomfortable or threatened online - download the Government's Cybersafety Help Button
For more information
For more information or to become involved in Stay Smart Online and 2013 National Cyber Security Awareness Week, please contact:
Cyber Security Programs Section
Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy
GPO Box 2154
Canberra ACT 2601
Tel: 02 6271 7062 Fax: 02 6271 1827
For all media inquiries about Stay Smart Online or 2013 National Cyber Security Awareness Week, please contact:
Stay Smart Online Media Team
Tel: 03 9289 9555