- Telstra is contacting affected customers
Issue Date: 2013-05-23
On 16 May 2013, Telstra confirmed spreadsheets containing some of its customers’ details were discovered online via a Google search.
- Apple updates iTunes, fixes numerous vulnerabilities
Issue Date: 2013-05-22
On 16 May 2013, Apple released iTunes version 11.0.3 which addresses vulnerabilities affecting Windows and OSX versions.
- New privacy laws will affect government, business and individuals
Issue Date: 2013-05-22
As part of the recent Privacy Awareness Week, the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC) released a range of new materials to support businesses, government agencies and individuals prepare for changes to Australia’s privacy laws, scheduled to start in March 2014.
- Mozilla releases May updates for Firefox and Thunderbird
Issue Date: 2013-05-17
On 14 May 2013 Mozilla issued updates for its popular email client Thunderbird and Firefox web browser. The updates to Firefox include important and critical security fixes as well as other improvements, taking the version to release 21.0.
- SSO Advisory: Microsoft, Adobe release May Patch Tuesday updates
Issue Date: 2013-05-16
On 14 May 2013, Microsoft and Adobe issued their monthly Patch Tuesday security updates for products including Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer, Office and Windows Essentials, and Adobe Flash, Reader, Acrobat and ColdFusion applications.
- SCAMwatch: Australians continue to be targeted by holiday accommodation scams
Issue Date: 2013-05-14
On 9 May 2013, SCAMwatch issued the following information: Scammers continue to target would-be travellers with holiday rental accommodation scams.
- Microsoft issues work around fix for Internet Explorer 8 vulnerability
Issue Date: 2013-05-13
On 3 May 2013, Microsoft issued a security bulletin warning of a vulnerability in Internet Explorer 8. On 8 May 2013, Microsoft issued a temporary work around, Microsoft Fix it solution to address the vulnerability while Microsoft further investigates the issue and prepares a more permanent solution.
- Clarification: Be wary of password checking sites
Issue Date: 2013-05-06
Watch out for scam sites that claim to test your logon details for popular sites such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Hotmail and Gmail.